This product does not contain drying alcohols. That said, sometimes people can be confused by ingredient names that may suggest alcohols are included in a product. To clarify, in the hair care industry, the claim "Alcohol-Free" refers to products that do not contain "Ethel Alcohol" or "Denatured Alcohol", listed as SD Alcohol or Alcohol Dent. on labels. These alcohols, which are basically rubbing alcohol, can be very drying. Some alcohols are good for dry hair and others aren't. The alcohols often found in finishing sprays can dry out hair. A good rule of thumb is to avoid alcohols that include “prop” in their name, such as Isopropyl alcohol, Propanol, Propyl alcohol and SD alcohol 40. Fatty alcohols, on the other hand, help condition your hair. As you may have noticed, other ingredients may contain the term "alcohol" such as, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol and Cetearyl Alcohol, among others. These alcohols are also known as “oily alcohols" and are not drying but rather are conditioning and good for hair. So just as an example, our Cleansing Conditioner CoWash contains “Cetyl Alcohol,” used as an emulsifier, derived form coconut oil. Our sulfate free Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner contains “Stearyl Alcohol” which is a fatty acid, also derived from coconut oil. “Cetearyl Alcohol” (also contained in the cleansing conditioner) is a mixture of cetyl and stearyl alcohols. A simple way to remember which alcohols are safe and good for your hair is that they start with a “C” or an “S."
Articles in this section
- Best Tips and FAQs User Guide for Cleansing CoWash Conditioner
- Ingredients List for CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
- Do you have International shipping on Amazon?
- Hair loss caused by hair products
- What’s required to join the Luxe Club?
- What is the Luxe Club?
- I have long, thick, curly hair. I pull out a ton after every wash and need new products. Do I need an additional conditioner after using this?
- What are the ingredients?
- Advertises no alcohol, but picture of back of the bottle ingredients lists multiple types of alcohol?
- Does this help a itchy scalp?